Wednesday 2 January 2019

New year with changing times

We're officially into the New Year now and one starts to tidy away presents if not like my proper grey three-quarter length socks actually wear them although today it's only 3 degrees C so I have my thick track pants on rather than shorts.
One thing I have been doing is reading old annuals  not least comic ones and these's a kind of storyline in them you don't see in today's versions.

No that's from November 22nd 1952 which I might is before I was born but it's a comic strip where wrong doing gets swift punishment - whacked with Biffo's skipping rope but this kind of ending was common place when I was (allegedly) growing up and actually in the 1975 Beano annual I did have this year there were a few like Rodger the Dodger getting a spanking.
That may seem incomprehensible to a modern child which may be a reason why it doesn't feature - it could alarm some - in the way that for us it was everyday life wherever adults ruled so it was seen as normal if unpleasant. 
lt is an indicator of how over time society changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment