Wednesday 11 November 2020

Things come together eventually II

Last week I was talking a bit about how in a number of ways I am finding myself acting and being more of my emotional age not least with how the current Pandemic is affecting  life in a lot of ways.

For instance I have read from time to time comics although I haven't had a regular one in the way that growing up (allegedly) I had that you'd know that say every Wednesday you get the Beano come through the door or that at weekends my nan would give me the weeks Dandy although I do have a regular football magazine currently fortnightly.

That will be changing soon but just you know being to just say that able to say that to my parents as an everyday tidbit of chat without it being an issue is an indication that they too have accepted how I've changed.

I mean they do see me in and pre covid we'd been out for meals in grey school shorts, a school shirt with tie and grey turn over socks.


I did mention how I am seen and am treated in the wider community last time but an interesting thing happened this weekend as I was walking back home passing the house next door to a man I've know from (official) boyhood.

I walk passed looking from left to right with a woolly bobble hat on as a woman probably in their 40's or 50's opens the door to put the milk bottles out as I go by just striking my nose with a finger which is probably a nervous tic.

Anyway she looks toward me and shouts "You can look. I'm keeping a close eye on you" without adding any other word such as "Laddie" but the general tone is very much one of a woman addressing and admonishing a child.

It isn't a conversation with an adult. There is no "Excuse me why are you...." just a child pre-judged and cautioned anyway.

Obviously she is reading me as a boy! 

All I can say is it's a feeling I remember very much from being "Told off" for going down a path to the playground by a woman who lived by it. In Public!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment