Wednesday 18 November 2020

Boyhood fashion musings

Sometimes I talk a bit about attire on here, sometimes about whatever may be on my mind, sometimes more around boys regression and I feel that makes it different.

That's always been what makes this blog different than the others, it's a bit "behind the scenes" and it has a different sort of focus really.

One thing that has fascinated me really from childhood onwards are fashion trends and how they influence even those things that are not really meant to be fashionable by design.

For instance there was during the late eighties a push on Grandfather Shirts with rounded necks that never really took off and then there was the battle between the traditional duffle coat versus the cool 'mod' influenced Parker Jacket with its fur trimmed hood and the push in the late 80's for the Baseball jacket, not that as Brits we generally play that game.
I did have a few at the time!

But anyway the big one was waists on our underpants, shorts and long trousers because if you get low waisted shorts with high or natural waisted underpants you usually end up with a fair bit showing at the rear!
Thing is I remember when I was much younger how the waists of my shorts were and any 'tailored' longs too and they went to your natural waist - the thing we measure to get our trousers to fit - and that our shirt tails were longer than today.

Toss in our interlocking vests and underpants and that was snug.

This boys are at the natural waist and that was how it looked with a sleeveless jersey or standard jersey on.

As I got older I started to notice the waist bands started getting lower and starting to feel draughts more around the small of my back (my spine is curved, usually in pain and I notice stuff like this) and it got to the point that in America, then President Obama felt obliged to call out the trend for those wearing "low rider" trousers showing not just the waist band of their underpants but a fair bit of bum!

Where did this low waist trend come from and was it about just saving material costs?

No comments:

Post a Comment