Wednesday 13 June 2018

The recollections of youth


I was going to write something yesterday but I fell asleep and only just remembered which is so me you wouldn't believe it but I can remember playing in junior football usually in defense trying to stay warm in my red football jersey with white cuffs and shorts in day football shorts were short not at as long as Bermuda shorts trying not to be distracted by the Jefferies furniture truck going on the road next to our school playing field which wasn't that big being hemmed in by houses.
If you hadn't moved for more than a few minutes you'd be yelled at by the team captain never mind if you somehow missed the other teams ball as it landed right in the corner of your goal mouth to the delight of that team and disgust of your own who you knew would talk about it for days later with younger boys coming up to you and saying "Did you really let that goal in?".
Schoolboy football who can ever forget it?
There are things that helped shape who I am and critically how I cope with my disabilities as if it's true you never had a book to help navigate life it's more true that navigating and having a childhood being severely disabled is not something you have help with as your experiences often are reduced because you can't get about or you need help that's not always around.

No comments:

Post a Comment