Wednesday 7 October 2020

The battle of the Scouting Blogs

It's been a cold and pretty wet weekend as we went out of September and dropped in many ways into October which has seen more activity on my own forum which is good to know as it's getting on for about two years old now.


This week I do wish to talk a bit about what has seemed to me to be a battle of blogs around scouting that started around 2018 when there were on Tumblr a number such as Neckerchief's which was about uniformed youth organizations that used the neckerchief and, a mainly german centred one and particularly roverscout1love.

Given some of the issues I was having on Tumblr with one account (TSB 2) terminated, I decided to make a blog centred around Scouting as I had found myself on Tumblr blogging more and more on the topic and at the same time decided to make a long form extended version here on Blogger.

As usual, often tumblr users do blog each others posts, sometimes and in my case often adding detail and commentary on an image and so it was that I did use some of roverscout1love's and in time mine it had to be said was quite a popular one for its comments and fresh content.

Little did I realize that when for some reason that tumblr of his got terminated without any good reason, it was going to get a lot tougher as seeing he'd returned as roverscoutandy that a discrete inquiry privately as to that account being his was to lead to him blocking all of my tumblrs from it and anyone who who reblogged his content.

This on top of the reduction due to termination of an number of scouting blogs was starting to affect my blog which was when I decided to originate more of my own image content to the point of using my own pictures and put in more about the "me" bit on scouting to make it stand out which it did until inexplicably every tumblr account including the one with that one was terminated. I have my suspicions about how that came to be but they're staying under my hat.

That was why it was it remained on blogger and continues to run charting not just the past in scouting, the movement today but also my own scouting having quite a following.

I've always tried to make mine different, not being content to just plonk a picture as if to say just pictures of scouting were enough when a number including his don't have any other detail.

His has not been updated since July 4th while mine is three times a week with substantial entries, mine has fresh content including the odd essay, his has pictures.

To me it shows an approach in blogging regardless of platform that is about adding and making an entry distinct that shows your personality counts.

Whatever the real issue was with him regarding me, my blog stands out.

No comments:

Post a Comment