Wednesday 21 August 2019

Older boys as key to raising younger peers

Something I do think isn't talked about is how older boys can teach others how to behave appropriately by giving them some responsibility over younger boys which may be the granting of say Dinner Monitor status to ensure plates are returned and scraped off properly, captaincy of a team or being a Prefect or Head Boy responsible for a group of boys.

I feel that leads to both the development of personal responsibility and real leadership, learning to step in on the outset and deal with things rather than waiting for someone else

Yes it may mean punishing the person although it need not be physical even if metaphorically speaking giving him a whipping is what he needed when he posed a danger to everyone.

I was given some memorable spankings by older boys when I was really out of hand that probably were the more effective for being administered by peers rather than adults as they made me think about my behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment