Wednesday 10 May 2017

Adult but a child

What to call the the practical result of having developmental disorders that mean in terms of my development in a good many ways i am permanently child-like, is not the easiest of things.

Some feel I have to be made to approximate what any other legal adult is like and so feel accepting the way I am and living more child-like equates to denying me my rights as a legal adult to the point they won't give it a term and those that have created terms  have come at it from the realms of adult fantasy and sometime more of  fetish angle.

In my world, although I have some more adult level understandings of current affairs the bulk of what I feel and experience remain very much that of  boy typically of ten years, not having the other interests that come in as you would become a teenager.

What this means is as I move about even now what is going on in my head and from that what it is I am feeling like doing next is what that boy is feeling and looked upon with no reference to age recorded by date of birth as what you are observing is a child.

In the absence of much else the expression "adult little boy" is as good as any should it be really necessary to distinguish between a person who in law is an adult but almost all respects is a child and a bio-kid aka a person by age recorded by date of birth given the legal status of a child.

A child who studies at school who is male like me would be referred to as a schoolboy which takes nothing from being a boy or 'little boy' but denotes he's of the age that goes to school to learn.

Because I do remedial studying at the level of a boy of ten because of the cognitive disabilities I have affect my understanding of math and english then the term "adult schoolboy" also applies where it is necessary indicate the difference between being a bio-boy who is a schoolboy and an adult (little) boy who is also doing schoolwork for the same reasons and to a similar level.

Wrapped around it all is something else which is I dress in both how I see me and what I feel most comfortable which is often a sweater, grey school shorts and long socks so I resemble the adult but very much child me.

People in charitable sector who try to present 'normal' images of people like me would throw their hands up in horror no doubt but to be honest I prefer to seen as I am with people treating me more as how I present - an adult child.

To present me as a 'normal' adult only leads to being seen as functionally and mentally an adult would and that often leads to greater problems as I'm then in situations I cannot cope with.

No comments:

Post a Comment