Wednesday 3 May 2023

Disability and discipline

There is one subject that I'd like to talk about on this blog which I do have views on.

 
While I feel good arguments can be made for punishing people for things they could do but didn't especially if they had severe consequences for others, I do feel it is wrong to punish somebody for something that they had little or no control over such as stammering, being unable to write neatly, forgetting things because of memory problems and so on.

This was something I did see occasionally in school but quite often in the workplace after I had left education where it was just presumed everybody there had no disabilities and from that there were no excuses period for not being able to do or struggling with a task.

What as individual you needed was either support in performing the  task or or some extra tuition to master a task on a one to one basis which was something I had to fight tooth and nail for even at the risk of alienating some colleagues who though this help for me was somehow a threat or  unfairness to them.

Not  work reviews that seemed to be every other week sapping your confidence or any chastisement that if we'd of just refused to do right would of been justified and disability shouldn't prevent you for getting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment