Wednesday 31 May 2023

Summertime shorts blues

I was out On Monday when I recalled something that happened around nine years ago one morning on a day rather like today.

We have a relative large garden being on a corner plot so you have front, corner and rear which interestingly enough actually has a different post code than the reminder of the house as we bought that seperately and we have more mowed portions and other bits where various plants and flowers are planted.

Being near woodland we have a good number of birds about and birds do spread seeds about about and that has resulted on occasions in having things like wild poppies growing.

Well for a number of years we had a few growing near the front door, just a few inches from the door handle and lock on the right and towards where the door meets the brickwork on the left so while they were out you'd try to avoid catching them as these poppies were quite big with tissue paper consitency petals.

One day I was going out and I had a pair of olive five inch inside leg short trousers on I'd bought probably from British Home Stores as they did have more old school hiking shorts in and I noticed the poppy was sticking out a fair bit so I went to turn sharp right to avoid it as I appeared stuck to something.

It transpired I'd missed aim and got the back of my shorts caught on the brickwork which had torn the back in a way that even if you did sow them up, it would show as part of material was missing.

"Damn" thought I as I had to go back into the house to change to something more ahem decent.

"Why does trying to save the poppy cost me my shorts" ?

Ever since then I have been very careful at this time of year not to risk damaging my short trousers while getting out via the front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment