Wednesday 4 January 2023

Different Identities

I do feel very strongly there is an extent to which a person does feel that to be in certain respects at least is more of a "minor", a "boy" or "girl" in terms of their interests, the way they are introduced and known as in wider society especially "adults" and even their everyday presentation such as attire, mannerisms and so on.

It is the thing I've been working on for life because in so many respects I have and do not identify as an "adult" except in the narrowest of senses - over 18 - heck I never identified with being a teen either at all and to which in my community we are at the point I go to the local store looking outwardly a boy, talking to people I've know more as that boy. That is normal for me.

Their lives whiles being carried in the same train carriage of life increasingly became different to mine and even to the extent I could authentically join in conversations around such topics as marriage, fatherhood or the many go to social outlets that just failed to interest me such as this district the numerous Working Men's Clubs.

I'd sooner "play" with like minded people to be honest.

You might say that for example you still like comics doesn't mean you are a boy as college age and university students do read them which is true in that yes they do but they  seek out titles for an older audience too or gradulate to Graphic Novels which are very popular amongst that age group.

In terms of the plot though those aimed more at no younger than fourteen years are what I look for as much else goes over my head.

While it is also not uncommon for older children and young adults to watch children's tv shows there they do and are capable of getting more from material that is more aimed for adults in way that again I don't.

I may watch the news, watch a program about science or the environment, such a program would be more a "for the whole family" in terms of language used than say a program made assuming a more adult level of comprehension.

Actually my tv schedule is little different than what I had in my early teens in terms of structure and does still have two programs still in it!

Well when you think about it,  if you don't identify as a Man even if you do as a male, only relating more as Boy to Adults in most social settings then your life will be different  and in the end why shouldn't that be respected as much as other identities in an age very much concerned with such issues?

No comments:

Post a Comment