Wednesday 1 June 2022

Boyhood audio

Things from the past this week.

As soon as I was able to get past the AM and stereo Record home made stereo with a main unit with turntable, radio amp and speaker in on main unit and right speaker I'd had since the age of nine to the world of separates I did normally involving either second hand or handed down components.

By about the age of fourteen I'd actually had a set up rather like this, a Goldring-Lenco turntable  with an Audio Technica arm fitted, a "home brew" phono preamp which went into my Rodgers Cadet II tubed (UK: Valved) matching control unit and power amplifier.

I had a small Realistic (the Radio Shack/Tandy own brand) FM Stereo and AM radio tuner which was suprisingly good for the modest cost to listen to Radio Three, Two in high quality stereo and One for Pop programs in mono

The amplifier had a relative small foot print unlike most even allowing for its power and output transformers and a Din socket at the front for connection to a tape unit such as originally my ITT Studio 73 portable stereo cassette recorder used at boarding school and later the Narional Panasonic RS600 US home deck.

By the mid 1980's that was supplemented by a Toshiba cd player as many important classical recordings became cd and tape only.

Sadly while ungergoing repair work the amplifer went in a freak shed fire on February 28th 1998.

For me that early hifi seperates part restored from second hand units was really more about having the means of exploring and appreciating music from the pops of the day to getting past the major classical works building up collections, the bulk of which remain with my current system from discovering Elvis Costello and Ian Dury to Mozart String Quartets.

No comments:

Post a Comment