Wednesday 14 August 2024

A loss from the past


 Things that happen while you're away can include the latest goings on in your immediate area or some item you ordered having arrived but for me including reading in the local newspaper of the death of a former junior classmates parent, aged 91.

Now ordinarily that is bad news and I had aged parents but having "lost" mum early last year brings that rather forward but Alison lost her mum some five years back in 2019 and mum did attend that rather packed funeral service.

Thus she's at the point if having lost both her parents which I would imagine brings things back for her and for me reminds me the clock is ticking away too with dad.

So at a stroke two prominent community members, one being a stewart of local Girl Guides, the in the Royal British Legion are now gone.

Yesterday I attended the funeral service here to both remember what George did and to support her and her brother as we all looked out for and helped each other back then in the playground the best we could.

This included his role in starting the youth brass band, his personal life on an Estate Lodge in Aberdeenshire where an interest in agriculture engineering was formed at an early age and his time in National Service spent in Japan, Korea and Egypt.

I met with Stephen who joined when I did but took a couple of years out as he moved to a nearby town and attended school for period there before returning, talking about those days

Those bonds while added to by high school and employment, remain and for me the promise then is one you keep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment