Wednesday 6 December 2023

Conversations recalled

Between times when I'm a bit down after the events of earlier this year thoughts turn to conversations from the past that took one of two forms, the more formal "I'd like to talk to you about..." or the unscripted once that just break out in the moment often doing something everyday.

Sometimes they might of been when we'd of gone to the shops on our own as Dad was otherwise engaged as it were and to be quite truthful we liked those moments away from for the freedom to just do what we felt like often in the main town of the Northern Suburbs here in deepest Stoke on Trent where his mother lived and a good number of Aunts, Uncles and Cousins did having caught the bus.

On other occasions it would be when trying clothes on as in our family it was more normal for you to have your clothes picked for you so they'd be sessions when tape measure would come out, you might try on something from another to check measurements, or nan would knit me a jumper which often was in same colours as my female cousins as they tended to suit my skin tone better.

Among the memorable discussions were post Third Year options for GCE's and the battle over long trousers which just were never me which eventually I did win after a summer of sweltering in sweaty jeans.

In the end she came to realize I was this mixture of boy who could talk about grown up stuff while being at the same time the little boy she knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment