Wednesday 11 October 2023

Incidents, anxiety and grief


Today I've been feeling upset following the weekend's reports of how Hamas the terrorist group backed by Iran launched an attack on Israel, left over 250 people at a music festival dead, took women and children hostage and fired rockets into appartments.

Understandably such action brought swift retribution which itself resulted in over 550 deaths and inevitably hits civilians who only wish to go out to shop, school and work.

Forget the adult talk about motives and justifications although from my dorm chair I cannot  begin to imagine how you can justify killing so many people incuding children and of injuring others.

On top of high inflation, strikes and protests this take my mind back to 1973/4 and the Arab-Isreali War following the terror at the Munich Olympic Games the year before.

I remember only too well how my world fell in during the period shops, clubs and places of entertainment were targeted grim picture after grim picture of bombed out buildings, injured people and seeing bodies carried out.

I was ten at the time, loving to play out, play with my toys and read comics but then the big newspapers kept coming through the door with the latest bombing across its front pages, the hourly headlines on the radio and shocking footage on tv.

Its relentlessness didn't just make me nervous, I started to worry all the time my folks or my dad alone cos he travelled a lot in his work when I stay with with my grandma and grandpa worried sick if they were coming back when you heard something happened. My world no longer appeared safe.

Tonight I feel very numb about this incident, very shaken and concerned for those who today who are of a similar age to how I was and just how for some what was planned to be a weeking of partying and fun turned in a nightmare.

There is injustice and at times deep frustration at the speed of progress in resolving it but these kinds of action solve nothing and only serve to leave people in misery.

No comments:

Post a Comment